Entropion is a condition in the eyelid that causes the lower lid to fold inward. It can be very uncomfortable as the eyelashes are constantly rubbing against the cornea. In some cases entropion is caused by genetic factors such as an extra fold of skin growing with the lower eyelid. It can also be caused by age, scarring, spasm or trachoma, a common eye infection in North Africa and South Asia.
Symptoms of entropion:
- Redness and pain around the eye
- Sensitivity to light and wind
- Corneal Irritation causing decreased vision
- Epiphoria, overflow of tears
- Sagging skin around the eye
The only treatment is surgery to remove excess skin and repair tendons and muscles surrounding the eye.